My decision to try the Whole30 came from a mix of different places. I have competed in fitness events, enjoyed working out, challenging myself to eat clean and try new recipes for as long as I can remember. However, I recently had a fitness photo shoot and limited myself from so many of my favorite foods. After the photo shoot was over, I went a little crazy with my eating habits and was seriously lacking motivation for going to the gym. My body changed very quickly and I begin to hate the way I looked (this could have a lot to do with turning 30...I can see that metabolism isn't what it used to be). I couldn't find the motivation to step back in the gym and I kept eating donuts (literally) for breakfast. In my head I would say "This is the last time, tomorrow I will get back on track". Well, those tomorrows quickly turned into weeks and before I knew it- I had been eating terrible, I had not been in the gym in 2 and half months and had only taken a hand full of Pure Barre classes (and when I say a hand full- I mean 6).
I don't know what finally caused me to commit, but I believe it was just feeling unhealthy and knowing that I have so many things coming up in the next few months and I want to feel my best.
And, so 10 days ago I just said "Let's do this today." And here we are 10 days later.
What has been the hardest part?
You're supposed to eat 3 balanced meals a day, following the Whole30 meal plan, and avoid snacking. This is so different than what I am used to and what I usually preach to people. I am used to eating 6 small meals a day so this has been quite a challenge. I still sometimes snack, but the things I am snacking on now or so much more healthy than I was ever snacking on before.
What I Miss the most: And ALL of these I had at lest once a week (if not every day)
Chocolate Chip Cookies and Donuts
Gummy candy (gummy bears, worms)
I haven't experienced any weird headaches or side effects from any of the new foods I've tried. This has been surprisingly easier than I had thought it would be. I've read so many online post about how people felt awful the first few days/weeks and I was scared to experience those things, but thankfully I have yet to have any negative side effects. I think so much of this process has to do with your attitude. : ) It's 30 DAYS-NOT FOREVER!! You can do anything for 30 days!
10 Things I've Learned In 10 Days On Whole30
- Everyday gets a little easier! I find that I have more energy each new day!
- I have become more organized! The first week I went to the grocery store 3 times! I was able to write out a grocery list this week and meal plan with everything I'll need for the entire week.
- Whole foods are much more expensive! However, we (my family) go out to eat a lot. So I am thinking that our grocery bill will still be less than the amount of money we were spending going out to dinner.
- I have already added so many new things to my pantry/refrigerator that I have never used before and discovered I really like them!! (chia seeds, coconut milk, dried cranberries, and many spices)
- I have cooked more and washed more dishes in the last 10 days than I probably have in the last month!
- Telling people that you are doing the challenge will help with encouragement and support!! I have many friends that not only want to try it, but have already started!
- Black Coffee is really gross!! I miss creamer and sweetener like crazy-but have found that a little almond milk makes coffee much more enjoyable than just plain black coffee.
- I am sleeping so much better! I read this would happen, but was a little skeptical- I'm the person that has to take some type of medicine to help me sleep! No More!! : )
- 30 days seems like a really long time in the beginning, but taking it one day at a time is a better perspective! I am now 1/3 of the way on my plan and have no doubts that I will finish strong.
- There is a plethora of information on the internet about Whole30!! You do not have to pay any money for any books for the Whole30 challenge. I have found myself reading something new about Whole30 several times a day!